“It's not the Destination, It's the journey.”
~ Ralph Waldo
It’s been less than a month but this community has really grown on me. The past few weeks have been really eventful. A huge shoutout to my mentor, Željko for giving me the best on-boarding experience ever! (📣 You can checkout his blog on GSoC here.) In this short span, I got to meet the entire QTE & Release Engineering team. I also gained a new sense of professionalism and a clearer view of what it meant to be working as a community! 💜
Of all the past and upcoming weeks, this one is always going to be my favourite. I had my first commits merged. 🎉
- Learnt more about Željko’s coding process and debugging.
- Completed implemenation in the ContentTranslation repository
- Completed implemenation in the WikibaseCirrusSearch repository
- Met the entire team at the QTE sync meeting
Attended the Test Stratergy by RiskStorming with TestSphere, a part of the EngProd virtual offsite micro hackathon.
You can learn more about RiskStorming With TestSphere here. 💡 Bonus points to Željko for the creative set-up! ✨
A little bit more about the Hackathon since I absolutely loved it-
What we tested:
- The Death Star (I wish I was a Star Wars fan to actually understand more of what was going on 😅)
✔️ Quality aspects picked: Functionality, Testability, Operations, Resource Management, Disaster Control, Security and Permissions, Performance
- Wikipedia Donation Banners
✔️ Quality aspects picked: Accessibility, Internationalization, User-friendliness, Performance, Security and Permissions, Concurrency
- Completed Implementation in MediaWiki/core.
- Completed Implementation in FileImporter repository.
- Completed Implementation in Newsletter repository.
- Completed Implementation in ORES repository.
- Completed Implementation in AbuseFilter repository.
I faced a few problems upgrading this repo including a database error in setting up the enivornment for this repo locally. A suggested solution was to delete the existing container and create a new one since it is way easier than finding the problem in the existing one!
“Treat containers like cattle not pets.”
~ Željko Filipin
By far the greatest analogy I’ve ever heard! 😬
- I always wondered how networking was possible if you are working remotely.
-----(Enters the WaterCooler 🚰)-----
A little more context, a WaterCooler is a meet wherein the team gathers to just talk about things other than work. A great initiative to learn more about each other and take some time off work. I really enjoyed it!
The Analogy: At a workplace, sometimes when you head out to get a glass of water, you might run into a co-worker and y’all catch-up with each other’s life. The WaterCooler meet aims to do just that.
- You can find my meeting notes here! 📃
The coding period is officially going to begin! I’m really looking forward to working on the advanced repositories, hopefully it goes well. 💁♀️
See you in two weeks! 🍻